Sunday 23 October 2011

White Wedding Dress @ Bendigo Art Gallery



This exhibition is divine...I drove all the way from Sydney to see it! (Mind you I went via Boorowa's Running of the Sheep Festival near Yass...very Aussie) but I'll blog on that later!

I'd never been to Bendigo before, and my, what have I missed! Its a beautiful town, steeped in gold mining history, fabulous architecture, trams and snazzy boutiques! I was pleasantly surprised.
Before I even purchased my White Wedding entry ticket, I was drooling over the prospect of returning to see the Grace Kelly exhibition
which will open next year from March to June. I will coincide that visit after I finish the forthcoming Melbourne Vintage Fair which is on 18/19 & 20 May 2012, in Carlton. I'll just do a little detour via Bendigo!


It is a time-ticketed event, letting in probably 80 people each hour. I skipped past the queue for 1800's displays to the more modern brides, from 1900's on. Then I retraced my steps to have an easier look later. My favourite dress would be one from 1926, a perfectly plain bias cut silk dress, no fasteners or openings, just wiggle in! These brides certainly had the "waspish" waists!!


I enjoyed the social or society brides dresses, plus the stories behind their marriages, who they married and the families they married into.
Moving into the modern era brides I was spellbound by the Vivienne Westwood creation for Dita Von Teese, in purple shot taffeta of course! Not to be out-done by Gwen Stefanis number in silk faille where the hot-pink hem graduated in colour up to the cream bodice. But I think they were both outdone 70 years earlier by a 1938 bride who wore a
 fire-engine red silk gauze knee length dress!!


Monica Maurice


Claudia Chan Shaws dress

Dita Von Teese

  This fabulous exhibition finishes on the 6th November; you just can't miss it ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment